Thursday, October 3, 2013

Can we talk?

A while back you may have read my post introducing my professors. If not, Sean Patrick Lovett, is my communications professor and by far the most inspiring person I have met on this trip. He is also the head of Vatican Radio (yes THE Vatican) and just an overall extraordinary human being.

Sean has a way with words and he makes every single lesson, one I will remember for the rest of my life. He starts every lecture pulling up a chair and asking "Can we talk?" in which he follows with a story or advice that has us all quickly scribbling in our notebooks to record every word he says.

Today he took us for coffee and to an on site tour of Castle Saint Angelo. Every place he takes us to is an emotional experience and rather than filling our heads with repetitive facts, he informs us of the stories normal tourists will never get the chance to hear.

"Because we feel bad for the poor souls who walk around with sweaty feet, backpacks and audio guides pressed to their ears, the tourists who only get the impressionistic view of Rome. They return home and people ask how their trip was and they simply apply with an awesome or a good" -- Sean Patrick Lovett

Moral of the story, i'm so lucky to have him as a professor. I have known him for a month and he has changed the way I see the world. 

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment